Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have, but...

My car is quiet. With the stock exhaust, you can barely notice that the engine is running at idle. No rumble, no growl...nothing. Not that I'm looking for some crazy straight pipe window shattering noise, but I didn't expect it to be so quiet. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed someone selling a used Stebro exhaust. It came off an early dual cat 308 just like mine. The owner had it for a few years and it had probably a few thousand miles on it. He had replaced it recently with a complete non-cat system and didn't need this anymore. Hmmm...Stebro, eh? There are a number of vendors making aftermarket exhaust and they're all about $2500+ FOR THE MUFFLER ALONE. A Tubi is even more. Ouch, let go of my arm. A complete system including headers will run you well over $5000. Double ouch. The bottom line is that this fellow was selling his used Stebro for about 1/3 the cost of a new one. Stebro makes a quality exhaust with a good sound and their mufflers can accept "tip inserts" which allows you to adjust the exhaust note. Of course, this one is missing the inserts but I think I can get another set from Stebro directly.



On another positive note, I spent a few minutes tonight in the shop with my random orbit polisher. The touchup paint has had some time to dry so I thought I'd try and do some polishing to see how well (or badly) the color match is. Using some 600 sandpaper, I wet sanded the spot on the nose. Then I fired up the polisher using some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2 fine-cut cleaner. It looks pretty good and at certain angles, you can't notice the subtle color change. Good enough for me! Hopefully this weekend I can roll the car outside, wash the dust off and polish/wax.